Monday, January 18, 2010

Baby Plaque


Now that I'm full time in nursing school, my posts may become fewer and further between. Sad.
BUT, crafting is my other love so...I can't stay away long!

My friend was ready for her first baby to come any day, and she asked me if there was any way I could make a "do not disturb-esq" sign. Now you have to know Shelley to know that she could never bring herself to hang a big ol' GO AWAY sign on her door. She wanted the concept, but phrased in a more delicate way.

So a creation and a challenge. I was game!

I started with an unfinished plaque that you can find just about anywhere (WalMart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby)



I wanted to hand write my poem that I wrote for it, but I'm a lefty. So I'm not that blessed in the hand writing department. Its not necessarily the penmanship of a serial killer, but I know I wouldn't want to hang it on the door!

So I typed out the poem, and then rubbed the side of a pencil all over the back of it.



Then I laid my poem down (pencil rubbed side down) onto some cutesy girly paper and traced over the font (while bearing down) with a fine tip pen.



Then I took a fine tip sharpie and traced over my self made 'stencil'
Then I inked all around the edges of the plaque and paper.



Mod Podged the poem down. I also added a few coats on top to help seal it and give it a lil bit of sheen.





Add some embellishments



and a tassel made from scraps of ribbon



then tac a ribbon on the top to hang it with!



Here's the poem I wrote for it:

"We have a baby, we're very tired
We know a princess should be admired.
But sleepless nights are all too often
And without rest, we all feel rotten.
Don't knock, Don't ring, Don't make a peep.
Please come back later, cause we're asleep!"




I'm sharing this with:



DIY Day @ ASPTL




16 comments:

  1. Well said! Straight and to the point but in a sweet and nice kind of way! Ya' done good! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! My friend just had a girl, I may have to use that poem! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is darling! Thanks for sharing...bookmarking for my next baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I love that! I just bought distress ink and was like hmm. . . huh .. . how do I use this? Thanks!

    Also, adore the shutters by the TV. Totally awesome idea. Just used some shutters on a project myself, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just adorable! But now I find myself sorta wanting a big ol' Go Away sign! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! I love the poem.

    I am nominating you for a best blog award, stop by my blog for directions if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cute! I like how you did the lettering. I have decent printing, except that I can't maintain a straight line. Good idea! And nice tutorial. I've posted a link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOh I love it! I want one of these for my little baby boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job!! Very creative and fun poem!! Thank you for sharing your how tos!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute and a very good idea for all us tired mommies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is adorable!!!!! I need to study how you did that transfer! Great job.

    My baby girl didn't sleep thru the night until she was 14 months. I thought I may die.... but I am here to tell about it! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is absolutely adorable. I love the poem and I love the little washer embellishment. That would make such a cute shower gift.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is SO adorable. I have a baby shower to go to soon and I think this might be a perfect gift idea - just wish I was as crafty as you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to do this craft. Thanks for sharing!
    Following and will be back soon! ~ Coreen
    www.velvetoversteel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete